Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Can You Make Your Own Lojack?

I am pondering a new idea. I have a nice vehicle. Its a classic convertable and it could easily be stolen. I wonder how hard it would be to build a homemade lojack device.

I am not the first one to think of this. I found one post on the Internet where someone wanted to use gps and wireless. That would work if there was an open access point around but I thought it might be a little easier than that. What if you mounted a retired cell phone with GPS capability. Keep it attached to the car battery via a car charger and always left it running. It would not have a phone plan for making calls but it would still connect to the towers.

Would you be able to inform the police that the car was stolen and would they be able to track it by the phone? Curious to know if anyone else has experience with this?

(NOTE: Comments are welcome but keep them on topic. Additional insight or information on the topic is appreciated! Off topic posts or fake comments with links will be deleted)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home